Saturday, April 09, 2005

problem solved...

Looks like the Plainview Lodging Fiasco of 2005 isn't going to happen after all. When informed of the aforementioned predicament regarding the lack of overnight lodging for graduation weekend, Her Honor took things extremely well. Her first reaction upon hearing that she may be lodged up to one hour away from her actual destination? Joy.

You read that right. Her Honor was actually happy that that she could stay that far away, the better to visit her Aunt, she explained. I thought she may react that way. But she also, without having been reminded, recalled the Astro Motel Fiasco of ’89.

Alluded to before, I now feel the need, nay, the calling, to set forth a semi-detailed account of the Astro Motel Fiasco. The better to give Her Honor something to reminisce about with her aunt.

It all started when Older Bro invited the Attorneys down to Waco for Parents’ Weekend at Baylor University, that bastion of southern conservatism, pretty girls, and lackluster football. Older Bro, at this stage of his 18 year-old student athlete life, displayed at times a lack of judgment normally reserved for chimps that have broken into a case of Swizzle Sticks. And I of course looked up to him.

And what did he do that I looked up to on this particular October weekend? He booked us into accommodations of highly questionable quality – the kind of place normally reserved for, ahem, men who don’t like their wives as much as women that cost money, or for folks who like to barter in goods that aren’t sold at the pharmacy the squares shop at.

Normally, foisting this hourly-rate haven off on the Attorneys would have been sort of funny, at least after we left our new digs for the Ramada five minutes after pulling into the parking lot. Which we did. But something happened that Older Bro hadn’t really planned on.

Her Honor had been in Austin or San Antonio or somesuchplace on business earlier in the week, and drove up to Waco to meet us while we drove down from Denton. Unfortunately, she arrived several hours earlier than did MJW, Little Bro, and I. And it just so happens that the Astro, showing blatant contempt for the law, did not see fit to install locking devices of any type on the doors of its rooms. Apparently, the fashionable drug deals went on outside the doors of hotel rooms in ’89. Oh, and have I mentioned that Her Honor is exactly five feet tall?

MJW, needless to say, was not pleased with the situation as he found it. He may actually be bitter about it.

I told you that story to tell you this story: The Attorneys will be staying in Lubbock for my graduation next month. Lubbock Proper. Not in Plainview. Two rooms were procured at the Comfort Inn on I-27, thanks to the foresight of a law school buddy who has booked his parents into even posher digs. The Comfort Inn! Just think about it: Locking doors, ice machines, free local calls, clean sheets, and absolutely zero prostitutes hanging out in the parking lot.

Keeping the Attorneys away from drug deals is the least I can do after 26 years, right?