every once in a while
Sometimes its hard to see the forest for the trees, but yesterday evening's task of preparing for a deposition later this morning led to one of those wonderful but rare experiences in which I remembered why I chose to be a lawyer: I like to argue people into corners.
Now, the question of whether I have a slight mean streak in me probably isn't a topic worthy of debate. I do. And I strive to keep it from manifesting itself in personal relationships. You know, the greatest of the commandments, and all.
The legal business, on the other hand, sometimes calls for a little meanness.
Not that a lawyer should try to be pugilisitic for the sake of pugilism. The very best lawyers I know, MJW and Matlock included, use the "kill em with tact and kindness" method far more often. I do the same.
We'll see which method I use later today.
Now, the question of whether I have a slight mean streak in me probably isn't a topic worthy of debate. I do. And I strive to keep it from manifesting itself in personal relationships. You know, the greatest of the commandments, and all.
The legal business, on the other hand, sometimes calls for a little meanness.
Not that a lawyer should try to be pugilisitic for the sake of pugilism. The very best lawyers I know, MJW and Matlock included, use the "kill em with tact and kindness" method far more often. I do the same.
We'll see which method I use later today.

<< Home