Friday, May 20, 2005

i'm like roger ebert, only less sweaty and more light-headed

The powers that be (me) have determined that studying for the bar exam induces stress. A good cigar can help with that. It's perfect, really. I can sit down with my BarBri/PMBR outlines while I enjoy one, so no time gets wasted. Accordingly, I've set out here to write my first ever cigar review. I've never actually read a cigar review, and being a newb I don't really know what I'm talking about, but here goes...

Today I sampled the C.A.O. Italia, one of the "Piazza" size as they mysteriously refer to it. I refer to it as the "W.C. Fields" size, i.e., cartoonishly fat. Before I get in to the finer points of this delicious smoke, I have to say that I continue to be impressed by C.A.O.'s offerings. Those folks know how to make a tasty cigar. The eXtreme Belicosa might just be the best way to burn away five bucks, short of a small bucket at the Augusta National driving range.

According to C.A.O., the wrapper of this cigar is grown from the Habano tobacco seed, imported to Italy from Cuba over forty years ago. The filler hails from Italy, Nicauragua, and Peru. All of this adds up to a pretty strong, wholesome flavor. I could detect just a little sweetness, something I liked very much.

Construction: This thing appeared to have been engineered by Germans they hired away from Mercedes-Benz. Very solid and substantial. 4 BarBri Distractor Points.

Burn: This was the only real downside. I couldn't get the dadgum thing to burn evenly, and I noticed a severe fault line in the ash as it burned down. 2 BarBri Distractor Points.

Draw: Maybe a little tight, but then my humidor is still hovering around 73% so it might have been slightly too moist. 3 BarBri Distractor Points.

Aroma: Really shined here. Imagine the nineteenth hole at a really classy country club, combined with some sweetness, and you get the idea. 5 BarBri Distractor Points.

Taste: Smooth, full-bodied. A hint of sweetness that was very "natural" and not at all dominant. Very pleasant on the tongue once it warmed up. The first couple puffs were a little bitter, but I've experienced that on other good cigars. 5 BarBri Distractor Points.

Overall, I'd definitely say to check out the Italia if you like a good full-bodied cigar, but you don't like something as overpowering as a maduro. 19 total BarBri Distractor Points.