Sunday, May 15, 2005

sunday's here, so i'm gonna preach

“My understanding of what it means to be a Christian is to, in our own subjective way, recognize Christ as being God, and recognize our shortcomings and our failings, and try to live according to the teachings of Christ as best we can.

I’ll give you three guesses to figure out who said that.* A theologian I ain’t, but a Christian I am, and I feel comfortable endorsing that statement. And with my freshly-conferred J.D. in hand, the task now falls to me to embark on a legal career that honors that little pearl of wisdom.

Bearing that in mind, remember that careers are not synonymous with callings. When people think of Jimmy Carter, they don’t remember Jimmy Carter the nuclear engineer – they remember Jimmy Carter the former president, a Christian who has dedicated his life to negotiating for peace in war-torn nations and to building homes for the poor. Likewise, does anyone out there know that C.S. Lewis was a professor of medieval literature? I didn’t until today.

Are you going to let your career define you?

* Moby said that in the latest issue of Relevant. Check it out. And if you don’t own Play, go buy it. You’re already like six years late to that show.