Monday, May 16, 2005

maybe we talk slow(ly), but at least we're not jerks

Today marked the first day of preparations for the July 2005 Texas Bar Exam with the first installment of the six-day PMBR "Early Bird" Multistate Bar Review. I'm pretty sure that PMBR marketers decided that "Early Bird" probably plays better than "The Thirty Most Freaked Out Nerds in the 3L Class" to the folks they're peddling to.

Our "guest lecturer" on torts today, who regrettably had to attend via VHS recording, hailed from Southern California. I have much love for the Golden State, but I'm begginning to think that's only because I haven't spent much time there.

About 134 minutes into the lecture, our lecturer stopped in the middle of explaining the assumption of risk defense in strict liability actions to talk about how he accosted a meter maid recently. Apparently, our lecturer had parked illegally and the meter maid had issued a ticket. Who among us hasn't wanted to get even with the meter maid at one time or another, right? But what did our lecturer do? He laughingly told us of how he berated this poor meter maid for being fat and for being a man doing a woman's job. And our lecturer thought that would be a funny story to break the ice.

Ha. You're not lecturing to boys ages 8-13, pal. You're lecturing to, among others, future prosecutors and judges. Sheesh.

Well, I've got to get back to work. I'll try and keep the bar exam boredom posts to a minimum this summer, hopefully down to one a week. In the meantime, thanks for reading.