i might have some left over from mission trip...
"The long and winding road...The wild and windy night."
Clearly, Lennon/McCartney did not have Amarillo in mind when "they" wrote that. First off, one is hard pressed to find any road that has any characteristic that could be described as "winding" around here. But, perhaps more importantly, the wild and windy nights are not to be looked upon with anything close to wistfulness. Try contempt.
Last night, the owl checked into a hotel. I can't blame him. With nothing but dust to stop all the weather that comes off the mountans of Colorado, I am quickly learning that a good measure of wind is something I will have to deal with as an Amarillo-an.
Last night, the wind was blowing so hard that the noise kept me awake all night. In defense of mother nature, the extreme kite fliers and chili connoisseurs of the world believe that the over-the-top adrenalinatude of such weather cannot be underestimated, and even I could have lived with it if it hadn't kept blowing all day today. Unfortunately, I work in what passes in Amarillo for a skyscraper. About five minutes after sitting down at my desk today, I began to feel queasy.
Thus began my quest for a Dramamine pill:
mjw: Hey, man, you got any Dramamine?
Lawyer One: Dude, you've been a lawyer for 18 hours and you've already got a drug problem?
mjw: Well, not exactly. I'll look around some more...Hey, Lawyer 2, you got any Dramamine?
Laywer Two: My advice is to get used to it, bro.
That, clearly, was pretty standard lawyer advice. But this aggression could not stand, and my search continued for about thirty minutes. I finally scored.
The rest of the day, thankfully, was constructively wind free...

<< Home