that's why you're the judge and i'm the law...talking...guy
Next Monday at 4:00 pm CMT, the Justices of the Seventh Court of Appeals of Texas will swear me in as an attorney-at-law, entrusting me with the responsibility of and giving me the authority to practice in all the courts of the Lone Star State. A mere 45 hours and 30 minutes later, I will make my first official court appearance on behalf of a client. None of my partners will be there to assist me. I will be all on my own. I have been planning for and playing out the details of that moment in my mind for many years now.
Do you think I'm setting myself up for something anti-climatic?
Partner: Hey Matt, I need you to cover a hearing for me on Wednesday, I'll be out of town.
mjw (acting cool): Sure, what's the case?
Partner: I need you to go argue our summary judgment motion against...blah blah blah.
mjw (thrilled, scared, but still acting cool): Okay. I'll get the file and get prepared.
Partner (only half-joking): One more thing Matt. Just get up there, argue what I said in the Motion, sit down, shut up, and don't screw it up. If you argue for more than three minutes, you're an idiot. Even if the other lawyer is dead wrong and is ticking you off, still, for Chrissakes, shut up.
mjw (only slightly less fired up): Do you want fries with that?
Despite the fact that I just passed the bar exam, despite the fact that I officially become an attorney-at-law on Monday, despite the "instructions" I was given regarding my handling of this hearing, despite the fact that it will only take three minutes, and despite the fact that I'll be a nervous wreck, I have been looking forward to Wednesday, November 16, 2005 since the day I asked my daddy what he did for a living, and he said "I'm a lawyer. I go to the courthouse, where your Granny works, and I talk to the judges. I help people who had bad things happen."
Wednesday, some footsteps get followed.
Do you think I'm setting myself up for something anti-climatic?
Partner: Hey Matt, I need you to cover a hearing for me on Wednesday, I'll be out of town.
mjw (acting cool): Sure, what's the case?
Partner: I need you to go argue our summary judgment motion against...blah blah blah.
mjw (thrilled, scared, but still acting cool): Okay. I'll get the file and get prepared.
Partner (only half-joking): One more thing Matt. Just get up there, argue what I said in the Motion, sit down, shut up, and don't screw it up. If you argue for more than three minutes, you're an idiot. Even if the other lawyer is dead wrong and is ticking you off, still, for Chrissakes, shut up.
mjw (only slightly less fired up): Do you want fries with that?
Despite the fact that I just passed the bar exam, despite the fact that I officially become an attorney-at-law on Monday, despite the "instructions" I was given regarding my handling of this hearing, despite the fact that it will only take three minutes, and despite the fact that I'll be a nervous wreck, I have been looking forward to Wednesday, November 16, 2005 since the day I asked my daddy what he did for a living, and he said "I'm a lawyer. I go to the courthouse, where your Granny works, and I talk to the judges. I help people who had bad things happen."
Wednesday, some footsteps get followed.

<< Home