Monday, April 25, 2005

can i write you a check?

The saying goes that you can’t take it with you. I won’t dispute that. Yet despite my current longing to be rid of this place, Lubbock has some things I’ll be missing soon. In no particular order, a few of the things I’ve learned to love about the South Plains in the last three years:

1) The 9:30 Service/Challenge

I will always associate Lubbock with the life-changing experiences I’ve had at 9:30 and the friends I made in Challenge.
2) Law Review Shenanigans
“The Third Floor is a working environment.” Yeah, right. I hope Beatty gets my carrel next year.
2) Chimy’s
I’ll take Chimy’s fish tacos over a meal at the Mansion on Turtle Creek any day. And I still have a crush on Molly the waitress.
3) Bob at Varsity Bookstore
Despite the fact that I’ve probably put at least one of his kids through college with the amount of books and study aids purchased over the last six semesters, he always knew what I needed for any given class, and wouldn’t sell me anything I didn’t.
4) The Rawls Course
To whomever had the guts to spend millions putting a professional quality, links-style golf course in the middle of the West Texas wasteland: Thanks.
There’s probably others, but I’ve got to get back to studying. Something I won’t miss.