stop, look, and listen baby, that's my philosophy
The King now resides in my office. An elaborately mounted 8 1/2" X 11" version of the photo below greeted me today when I got back from lunch, prominently placed in the middle of my desk with a note that explained it's significance in law firm lore and tradition. My research reveals that it is a still shot from Elvis' 1968 TV Comeback Special.
Apparently, the photo has been passed down through generations of lawyers. Come to find out that the temporary legate means I am now officially "one of the group." Evidently, this is some sort of honor.
What do I get when I make partner? Hopefully not tickets to Graceland. Thanksgiving week claims of overratedness still resonate in my mind's eye.
As a Fightin' Texas Aggie, I have come to realize over the years that traditions don't have to make any sense to mean something. Who decided that America should sing the National Anthem before something as trivial as a baseball game? Why does the greatest University in the nation make a Collie the highest ranking member of it's military contingent? When my family gets together for the holidays, why do we all stand in a giant circle, holding hands, to say Grace? And perhaps most confusingly, why am I so superstitious?
The answer is different to each person. You just follow it, and figure out what it means to you. Like The King told us before he disappeared in 1977 and moved to Kansas, "When no one else can understand me...You're always there to lend a hand in everything I do."
Apparently, the photo has been passed down through generations of lawyers. Come to find out that the temporary legate means I am now officially "one of the group." Evidently, this is some sort of honor.
What do I get when I make partner? Hopefully not tickets to Graceland. Thanksgiving week claims of overratedness still resonate in my mind's eye.
As a Fightin' Texas Aggie, I have come to realize over the years that traditions don't have to make any sense to mean something. Who decided that America should sing the National Anthem before something as trivial as a baseball game? Why does the greatest University in the nation make a Collie the highest ranking member of it's military contingent? When my family gets together for the holidays, why do we all stand in a giant circle, holding hands, to say Grace? And perhaps most confusingly, why am I so superstitious?
The answer is different to each person. You just follow it, and figure out what it means to you. Like The King told us before he disappeared in 1977 and moved to Kansas, "When no one else can understand me...You're always there to lend a hand in everything I do."


<< Home